• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

bigamy laws and other states

Off-Grid Artist

Member
Real Person*
Male
This is the start of studying bigamy laws. We don't talk about them very often.

Let's say I want to marry a few more wives. I have a wife in Colorado on paper. Who is to stop me from marrying another wife in Wyoming, then taking a wife in Montana, and having them all on paper?

I'm on a very long roadtrip right now and it just has me thinking how logical it would be to have my wife from Colorado, and my wife from Wyoming, and my wife from Montana. It seems like it would be very easy.

So then we get to the taxes. Basically my first wife and I would stay filed as married filing jointly. Then each other wife files as married filing separately. Or, maybe I too file that way.

My understanding is that the bigamy laws were primarily motivated for income tax concerns. Feel free to correct me on that, I can obviously see all the reasons that the adversary wants real families broken up.

If there is no taxation crime or trickery, who cares if I have three marriage certificates in different states? Who prosecutes me then? Am I to believe that the feds are going to come knocking because I am a paper bigamist?

Let me know your experiences or knowledge on this topic.
 
All I know is, when I checked the local laws, the fact I was married to a woman in a different country meant I wasn't allowed to marry here. It would place me in a situation of bigamy in both countries and I don't want the hassle or drama. Your state laws might be different, I don’t know.
 
From what I’ve heard, it’s been done. I don’t know the specifics of the taxes.
If one of the wives decides that she wants out is when her lawyer could make it an issue.
 
Hmmmm, oh wow. I didn't even think of that. It's been a long time since a woman was unhappy with me, I guess! Blinders on.
It may be one wife will become unhappy with another.... it happens. Then things blow up big time and the lawyers do their utmost to wreck everything.
 
Back
Top